Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I See You

I see you almost every day…when I'm walking to the bank or the post office or the coffee shop. You're always sitting in the same spot on the sidewalk, leaning against the rail. I try to look down as I walk past you so I don't have to see your outstretched hand, your hopeful eyes, your distorted foot. Sometimes I purposefully look you in the eyes so that I can honor your humanity while not meeting your needs. I have many reasons for not giving to you…

You are dependent on the charity of others.

If I give to you today, you will expect me to do the same tomorrow.

Who knows what you do with the money that is given to you…alcohol? drugs?

What would happen if I gave to everyone who begged? the children who approach the taxi as we wait at a traffic light, the mothers who ask for food for the infants in their arms, the young boys who hold out their right hands while sniffing bags of glue in their left.

These are my reasons.

Do they make sense to you?

No comments: